Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Dean Pelton makes an appearance at the Save Greendale Committee advising the group to make getting the school some insurance a priority on their agenda. Hickey interrupts the discussion angered by an e-mail he just received. He reveals he wasn't invited to his grandsons birthday party because he doesn't get along with his Dungeons & Dragons obsessed son Hank. Annie then suggests that they all help father and son reconnect through The role playing game since they've all played before. Abed is unsure feeling but eventually convinces himself it's an opportunity to prove he can pull off a satisfying sequel. Dean Pelton also expresses his eagerness to participate unaware he wasn't actually invited. The next night, they all show up at Annie and Abed's apartment and meet Buzz's son Hank. As Dungeon Master, Abed reviews his game notes while Hank skeptically questions his father about his sudden interest in D&D.
|Abed lays out the adventure he prepared for the group. They are adventurers trying to free the land of "Galindor" from the evil "Necromancer" located in "The Black Tower". Abed suggests they introduce each other starting with Hank who was given the character "Joseph Gordon Diehard". Hanks suspicions are confirmed when Buzz reveals he is playing as his father "Sir Riggs DieHard". Unwilling to take part in such a contrived father/son bonding exercise, he collects everyone's character sheets and redistributes them. Hank then becomes "Tristram Steelheart" the cleric, Buzz is "Tiny Nuggins" the thief, Britta is "Fibrosis" the Ranger, Shirley is "Crouton" the Druid, Annie reassumes her previous role of "Hector the Well-Endowed" and Chang is "Dingleberry" the troll. Pelton is ecstatic when he and Jeff end up with the father and son roles meant for Buzz and Hank. Abed starts the game but Hank chooses to make his character forgo the quest presented to him.
|Annie uses "Hector" to forcibly set "Tristram" back on the right path but Hank casts a fire spell injuring the character. The spell causes more damage by burning a bridge the characters were on which sends them plummeting into "Skull River". Buzz angrily confronts Hank over his actions in the game and also in real life bringing up his invitation snub to his grandsons birthday. As things get heated, Jeff relates his own prickly relationship with his dad and implores them to try and salvage theirs before it's too late. Abed then interjects and updates the status of the game stating that the group has been separated; Annie, Buzz, Jeff and Shirley's characters have washed ashore away from the others. Abed tells them if they plan on continuing the game then Hank, Pelton, Chang, and Britta must go to a separate room. Hank says he has no interest in playing until Buzz decides to offer him some incentive.
|Buzz offers that should he loses he is banned from not only attending that event but two other family functions as well. However, if he wins he gets to go to the birthday party. Hank agrees to those terms and joins his group of players in Abed's room while the others remain outside. Abed tells Buzz's party they are surrounded by a jungle where Annie tries to set up camp. Buzz elects to continue the journey and the others reluctantly follow his lead instead. Unfortunately their characters run into a pack of hobgoblins and a failed attack by Buzz ends up causing the death of Shirley's character. With Shirley's departure from the game and the apartment, Abed criticizes Buzz for not taking the game seriously. Abed than goes to update Hanks party on their status. Before they begin, Hank helss Britta's character and explains to the other players his attitude towards his father stems from years of neglect.
|Abed then tells the players they have been surrounded by three "Sky Spiders". Hank communicates with the arachnids earning their trust and also the respect of his teammates. Meanwhile, Buzz is now acting in concert with his party and successfully raids a hobgoblin encampment. He then interrogates two of his prisoners and learns where the "Black Tower" is located. Elsewhere, Hank and his group are bonding as he sings an inspirational war hymn just as Abed arrives. He informs them that the " Sky Spiders" have flown them close to their destination. Meanwhile, Pelton repeatedly tries to contact his "father" Jeff. Its only after many failed dice roll attempts by Abed does one of Pelton's messages gets through. Following instructions Pelton gives him, Jeff activates a magical beacon that alerts the groups to the others location. Abed reveals to both parties they will be arriving at the "Black Tower" at the same time.
|Jeff and Anne suggest to Buzz he call this off but he refuses believing Hank has already turned their friends against them. His fears are proven right when the two groups rendezvous and the other party demands Hank be given the victory. Pelton has his character switch sides but accidentally gets impaled on a sword when he rushes to embrace his "father". Pelton's death causes a bloody battle to erupt between the two parties which leaves Hank and Buzz the only survivors. As the two argue about who gets to kill the "Necromancer" their target escapes. Abed tells them they might still catch him if they work together. Jeff advises that the two should just bury the hatchet and move on but they insist on continuing to play. As the Hickey's begin arguing over strategy, Jeff and the others quietly exit the apartment content that they somewhat succeeded in their quest to reunite father and son.
Abed is playing Dungeons & Dragons with Annie's stuffed toys. Annie emerges from her room and asks if he is done yet since she can't go to sleep without her "stuffies". Abed then ends the game by having a goblin slaughter the stuffed toys and goes to his room.
- Annie, Jeff, and Abed mentions the time the members of the committee first played Dungeons & Dragons back in the Season Two episode "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" and prevented a fellow student from committing suicide.
- Hickey mentions his gay son again this time revealing his name to be "Fiorio"
- Abed's map features Brutalitops Memorial Bridge, commemorating the Death of Brutalitops, Chang's character from the last D&D game; and Hawthorne Mountain, a reference to the now-deceased Pierce Hawthorne.
- History lesson: Hickey explains to the rest of the committee that he is close to his gay son but has always had a strained relationship with Hank.
- Once again the group forgets another person is in the room who invites themselves to join their game. This time it's Dean Pelton; Ben Chang did the same thing in the previous game.
- Abed oversees the gameplay by once again taking up the role of Dungeon Master
- Annie once again plays the character of "Hector the Well-Endowed"
- Annie says "Huzzah!" Which was said by Troy in the original game.
- Hank responds to a fist bump the same way Buzz Hickey reacted to Britta trying to fist bump with him in "Geothermal Escapism"
- Familiar faces: Comedian/actor David Cross guest stars as Hank Hickey, Professor Hickey's son.
- Returning students: Neil makes a brief cameo in this episode, called out when Jeff mentions that the "faaaa...bulous Neil is always there in the background."
- Mad skillz:
- Buzz Hickey gets to use his interrogation so skills on two hobgoblins which are both portrayed by Abed
- Hank Hickey sings in a falsetto which entrances his fellow D&D players.
- This must be the place: Group Study Room F and Annie and Abed's apartment are the only two locations in this episode. Abed has moved from his pillow fort into Troy's old room which used to be The Dreamatorium
- Man crush: Dean Pelton demonstrates his obsession with Jeff again through role playing as his son "Joseph Gordon DieHard"
- Its a vase: During the game, Dean Pelton rubs the blade of his imaginary sword while starring at a picture of Jeff.
- Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?: Annie say "Huzzah" and then points at the others asking confimation "huzzahs"
- Use your allusion:
- Hank refers to Abed as "Aziz", this is a reference to comedian/actor Aziz Ansari who is an Indian American. He also happens to star in the NBC sitcom "Parks and Recreation" which follows "Community" on Thursday nights. Aziz Ansari and Danny Pudi have also joked about switching roles on their respective shows for an episode.
- The character name "Joseph Gordon Diehard" is a multiple reference to actor Joseph Gordon Levitt and the 1988 movie "Die Hard" which starred Bruce Willis who was Levitts co-star in the 2012 "Looper" where they played older and younger versions of the same character.
- Britta's Character "Fibrosis" the Ranger is a reference to a character named "Varus" from the MOBA game "League of Legends". Both characters use a bow as a weapon and their names are related to a medical problem; "Fibrosis" is a excessive growth of fibrous connective tissue while "Varus" refers to a deformity of a bone or joint.
- Annie says "Huzzah!" which was said by David Cross character's Tobias Fünke in the TV show Arrested Development created by Mitchell Hurwitz who's played Koogler in "App Development and Condiments".
- Dean Pelton screams "I Will Find Him" which references General Zod in Man Of Steel. The scene can be see HERE
- Know Your Meme: In the final showdown between the two parties, Hank repeatedly casts the spell "Lightning bolt". This is a reference to a popular internet meme of a video which features LARP (Live Action Role Playing). In the game, a player calls for the spell several times against his opponent. The video can be seen HERE.
- IRL: Hank's character is called "Tristram Steelhart". This is a reference to "Community" executive producer and director Tristram Shapeero.
Behind the scenesEdit
|Episode writer Matt Roller posted on Reddit a page he wrote which featured a completely different cold open. It mimicked the first D&D episode with a dramatic "Lord of the Rings" style voiceover.
Behind the scenes photosEdit
Exclusive promotional materialEdit
On several official Community media outlets exclusive "scraps" of a Dungeons & Dragons map were released to promote this episode:
The entire map was later released on Community Twitter page one day after the episode was broadcast:
|Season Five Episodes|
|Season One • Season Two • Season Three • Season Four • Season Five • Season Six|