|On the verge of graduating from Greendale, Jeff meets up with an old colleague from his former law firm named Mark. Having learned Jeff was about to get a legitimate degree, Mark offers him a partnership at a new law firm he was starting up. Although reluctant at first, Jeff is convinced by Mark to accept. The next day, Jeff and the study group arrive at Group Study Room F excited by the new semester. Once inside the room, Annie and the rest of the group then spring a surprise Graduation party in Jeff's honor. They are disappointed to find out that there won't be an official graduation ceremony. The group then insists on accompanying Jeff to Pelton's office in order to witness him receiving his degree. After arriving at the office, Jeff decides the occasion deserves more pageantry.
|He gives permission for Annie and the Dean Pelton to organize a graduation ceremony/celebration in his honor. Later, Jeff talks with Britta at a bar and admits his fear that leaving will possibly have a negative affect on the group. Britta reassures him that everyone is happy for him and that even Abed will cope. She mentions he has gotten better with dealing with his problems thanks to her therapy and hardly mentions "The Darkest Timeline". Jeff considers her words and the next day he shows up at the study session with a die. He uses the die to decide who should bring the soda to his graduation ceremony. After rolling it, the die lands in between the cracks of the study table and no number comes up. Abed is worried about the omen it portends but shakes it off leaving Jeff unsatisfied by the outcome.
|Meanwhile in Dean Pelton's office, the Dean is too busy putting together a collage of him and Jeff to notice the spectacular arrival of Evil Jeff in the "Prime Timeline". Evil Jeff goes to Jeff's locker for clothing and encounters Britta. She rightly points out Jeff had anxieties about graduating and reminds him that whatever happens the study group will be there to support him. After she leaves, Evil Annie shows up with Evil Jeff's prosthetic arm and he fills her in on what he just learned. He decides that in order to sabotage this timeline they need to ensure this world's Jeff accepts Mark's job offer. To that end they will ruin his relationship with the study group members. Evil Jeff goes to the study room and finds the other Annie decorating for Jeff's graduation ceremony. He turns on the charm and starts to flirt with her toying with her emotions.
|He then cruelly taunts Annie by declaring he is leaving her and Greendale behind forever sending her running away in tears. She later finds the real Jeff in the cafeteria and confronts him over what his doppelgänger did. Annie berates him for being so callous and declares she's not going to his graduation before storming off. Jeff goes after her unaware he is being observed by Evil Annie. Elsewhere, Abed is in the school's hallway where he is approached by Evil Jeff. Abed immediately recognizes him as an Evil doppelgänger. Evil Jeff shoots him with an upgraded paintball gun and Abed is somehow transported over to The Darkest Timeline. In the Prime timeline, Jeff finds Evil Annie in the library mistaking her for the real one. Evil Annie apologizes for counterparts actions with a hug and manages to swipe his cell phone.
|In the cafeteria, Troy and Shirley are preparing a sandwich cart at Shirley's Sandwiches. Evil Jeff approaches them and uninvites them to his graduation party while sarcastically insulting them both. Back at The Darkest Timeline, Abed goes to his apartment in that reality. There he finds his double Evil Abed who explains he has reformed and is trying to brighten his reality. Unfortunately, Troy along with his study group have kicked him out for this and now Evil Jeff has since taken over his original goals. Formerly Evil Abed then volunteers to send Abed back to his world along with special equipment he will need to stop his former friends. Over in the "Prime Timeline", Jeff arrives at his graduation ceremony in the study room and is surprised to find it empty. An angry Dean Pelton then shows up with his degree and throws it at him upset over something he claims Jeff had said to him earlier.
|As he leaves, Evil Annie enters the room. She reveals a provocative dress she is wearing and flirts with Jeff. She then produces his cell phone and seductively tries to convince Jeff to accept Mark's job offer. Jeff is too confused by her odd behavior as well as the absence of the rest of the group and attempts to leave. He is shocked when he is prevented from leaving by his Darkest Timeline doppelganger. Evil Jeff encourages him to take the job, leave his friends behind and become selfish again. Jeff refuses saying he has grown and changed too much but Evil Jeff counters that he will always be that person. In defiance, Jeff rips up his degree angering Evil Jeff who decides to shoot him with his paintball gun and send him to the Darkest Timeline. At that moment Kevin/Chang arrives for Jeff's ceremony and valiantly jumps in the way taking the shot meant for Jeff.
|As Chang is transported to the other world, Jeff manages to escape. Evil Jeff and Evil Annie discuss what to do next when they are interrupted by the arrival of Evil Britta, Evil Troy and Evil Shirley. Over at Abed and Troy's apartment, Annie, Britta, Shirley and Troy have gathered still fuming over what Evil Jeff said. Jeff then enters the apartment and desperately tries to explain what's going but the group won't listen. Abed then appears and provides enough proof to make them believe. He brought over the "Doppeldeaner" from the Darkest Timeline and shoots him with one of the transporter paintball pistols. Abed then declares that they are faced with an invasion from their Evil counterparts. He equips them with similar paintball guns and they proceed to Greendale to face off against their doubles. Back at school, The Evil Study group enter the cafeteria only to be startled by the surprise appearance of Evil Pierce.
|He reveals he faked his death to teach them a lesson and heard about them crossing over to this reality. He followed them to offer his help to take on the "lame" study group and asks what he can do to assist. Evil Britta explains the first person to shoot "themselves" wins which Evil Pierce takes too literally. He shoots himself with his own paintball weapon as does Evil Britta (albeit accidentally). When Jeff berates her incompetence, the "Primetimeline"'s Britta comes to her defense revealing that the "Good" Study group has arrived. The Prime Timeline Shirley, Troy and Annie quickly dispatch their evil doubles leaving only Evil Jeff behind who forces Abed and Jeff to take cover. Abed then tells Jeff he is daydreaming and that none of this is real. Evil Jeff represents the selfish guy he once was but Abed reminds him his friendship with the study group has changed him for the better.
|Emboldened, Jeff calls out his double, freezes the paintball pellet fired at him and shoots Evil Jeff. The scenario is then revealed to be a day dream Jeff had before he threw the Yahtzee die earlier that day. Later at Jeff's graduation ceremony, the group and a few other notable Greendale students are all in attendance. When it's time for a speech, Jeff actually finds himself at a loss for words hardly able to express the gratitude and love he has for his friends. He is interrupted by Pierce who demands to graduate first. Jeff allows him to have the spotlight and afterwards, the group along with Dean Pelton are having a private dinner in the study room. Jeff says he declined Mark's offer and is looking at smaller law firms to work for adding that it will allow him to stay in the area and keep in touch with them. In response, Abed leads the group in a toast to their newly graduated friend.
Evil Troy and Evil Abed are hosting an Evil version of the "Troy and Abed in the Morning!" show. After introducing their special guest "Evil" Ben Chang they present a glimpse into another timeline - the timeline in which Abed went to get the pizza, i.e. Timeline 5 - featuring an alternate Troy and Britta. They proudly show off their child who they have named "Chewbacca". Evil Jeff then interrupts the show to remind Troy and Abed that it's not real. When he leaves Evil Troy and Abed sing song their signature sign off.
In the Season One episode "English as a Second Language", Jeff mentions an "unmovable appointment" he has on May 23rd, 2013 at Morty's Steakhouse when he would presumably be graduating from Greendale. This throw away line foreshadowing a possible air date for a Season Four finale had long been the subject of speculation among the fandom who waited years to see if the show would actually reach that target date. Ultimately the finale aired a few weeks earlier on May 9. On Community's official NBC Twitter accounts for all the characters (seen HERE) this missed appointment was addressed by Jeff and the study group.
- Previously: Jeff made it clear he was graduating early at the start of the Fall semester in "History 101".
- Familiar faces:
- Returning students: Neil, Vicki, Leonard, Garrett, Quendra, Magnitude, and Todd return for Jeff's graduation ceremony. An image of Star-Burns is shown on a flyer promoting a tree planting ceremony in his honor.
- School supplies:
- This must be the place: The restaurant/bar from "Heroic origins" returns, Group Study Room F is featured, as is Dean Pelton's office, and the Troy and Abed's apartment.
- Climax: After four years of attending Greendale, Jeff finally graduates and gets his diploma.
- Winger Speech: Jeff gives a graduation speech where he is almost at a loss for words:
|“||Three and a half years ago, when I came to Greendale, I met six very important people. … Sorry, seven. And meeting these people changed my life. Yeah. I’m sorry. I – I don’t know what to say. [study group laughs and objects] I’m so used to being the guy who can talk his way out of anything, but… what do you say when you don’t want a way out? What you all have done for me is indescribable. It’s unbelievable. And my love for you is immeasurable, even when you split it seven ways.||”|
- Discontinuity: Jeff states in the Season One episode "English as a Second Language" that he is on a tight four year schedule to replace his Bachelors Degree. In this episode he receives his Associates Degree after graduating.
- Annie's Boobs/Fan Service: Evil Annie appears wearing a tight-fitting, strapless, low-cut red dress. Evil Jeff arrives in the Prime Timeline wearing only his underwear.
- Deanotation: Pelton says he has to sign his "John Deancock" on Jeff's degree to make it official.
- Nice outfit:
- The dean is wearing a Graduation cap and gown that has a higher hemline than normal.
- The dean is seen wearing a wedding dress.
- Evil Abed asks Abed if he wants to watch Season 3 of The Cape stating it was never cancelled in the darkest timeline.
- In an alternate timeline Troy and Britta name their son Chewbacca which Britta thinks means "one who hunts bounties."
- Use your allusion:
- Evil Jeff arrives in the "Prime Timeline" in a glowing sphere wearing only his underwear. This is similar to the way time travel is done in the "Terminator" film franchise. Evil Annie later reveals he chose to arrive in the Prime timeline that way as he could have worn clothes.
- A close up of Jeff testing out his mechanical hand is similar to the same shot used in "The Empire Strikes Back" when Luke tries out his new prosthetic hand.
- Background check: During Jeff's graduation ceremony behind Dean Pelton is a chalkboard and written there are the words "SIX SEASONS AND A MOVIE" . The episodes writer Megan Ganz admitted on Twitter that she was the one who wrote that there.
|On November 16, 2012, writer Megan Ganz tweeted the following:
Accompanying the tweet was a photo of the cover of an episode script for the Season finale. Entitled "Advanced Introduction to Finality" it has the production code #411. The episode was shot out of order as the eleventh episode filmed. This marks Chevy Chase's last official appearance on the show as Pierce Hawthorne (except for a very quick one-off cameo in Season 5 Episode 1). It was also the last episode written by Megan Ganz before she left to join the show "Modern Family ".
- “This is probably a bad thing to say -- especially when we haven't aired one episode yet -- but I wish I could redo the finale of season 4. I had to write it in a bit of a pinch, during a period of upheaval on the show. I wrote it too long (like... 6 minutes too long) and we had to cut a ton out of it in the edit bay. Part of me fears I was too freaked out to do my best work on it, because I wanted it to be a finale worthy of a show it could never be worthy of. Finales are generally terrible, and I am expecting that people will say this one is trying to hard, because it is. Because I was. God was I ever trying too hard on that one. My hope is that you'll all love the Halloween episode and forgive me for the finale. Maybe you'll like it. I have no way of knowing anymore.”— Megan Ganz Reddit AMA
Ratingswise, "Advanced Introduction to Finality" was up a tenth over last week, earning a 1.5 rating/5 share in the 18-49 demo. On Twitter, #OriginStory trended in the US and worldwide, at one point hitting the top spot on the US trend list and continuing to trend for at least 15 minutes after the episode ended.
Behind the scenes photosEdit
|Season Four Episodes|
1. "History 101"
|Season One • Season Two • Season Three • Season Four • Season Five • Season Six|