|Recurring or debuting plot points in this episode:
- And we're back!: This episode is the Season Two premiere and picks up the dangling plot points from last season's finale.
- Previously: The current month on Abed's Greendale Community College calendar features the Greendale basketball team, first seen in Debate 109.
- A nice gesture: Troy and Abed do their signature handshake when they see Professor Bauer shoot Star-Burns with a blow dart gun.
- Winger speech: Jeff again makes a speech about friendship and the need to have respect for one another.
- Middle Eastern Magic 8 Ball: Abed hires a George Clooney impersonator. In Season 3's Contemporary Impressionists, Abed gets into trouble by hiring more look-alike actors than he can afford.
- Replay: Professor Bauer asks the class what separates man from animals, which is a callback to when Jeff asked the study group the same question in the Pilot episode.
|Recurring or debuting characters in this episode:
- Familiar face:
- Returning students:
|List of Running gags
|Recurring or debuting running gags in this episode:
- Attention students!: The Dean can be heard giving announcements at the beginning of the show and mentions Britta's embarrassing actions at the Tranny Dance last year.
- Come sail away: Troy chokes up when contemplating school life without Britta.
- Changuage: Chang's first time this season where he substitutes Chang for another word: "This subject's talking my Changuage", "Consider yourself Chang-ed" and "Spare a little chang?"
- Gay, he's so gay!: Chang calls Jeff this when he begins his Winger speech about respect.
- NOOOOOO!: Annie screams after Jeff accepts Britta's "proposal".
- Raging against the machine: Britta objects to Troy's metaphor comparing women to donuts.
- Screw you guys: Everyone quits the group after the fallout from the Jeff/Britta/Annie and Pierce/Troy debacles.
- Turning it into a snake: Britta does her signature dance move twice in this episode. Her fans are also seen mimicking her.
|List of Meta references
|Meta references in this episode:
- Everyone's a critic: Abed tells Jeff: "I'm hoping we can move away from soapy, relationshipy stuff and into bigger, fast-paced, self-contained escapades." This was a criticism of the Season One finale which some critics felt was too much of the things Abed described. Much of Abed's role in this episode falls along similar lines.
- IRL: Donald Glover had been championed by a few online websites as a possible candidate to play Spider-Man in the 2012 reboot of the franchise that they were casting at the time. Troy appears in this episode wearing Spider-Man pajamas as a nod to this.
- Parody: Troy uses a Twitter account where he quotes Pierce called "Old White Man Says" which is a reference to the twitter account turned short lived sitcom on CBS called $h*! My Dad Says. That year, the sitcom made its debut at 8:30 on Thursday after Community premiered at 8:00. An actual Twitter account was created at the time the episode aired and can be found here.
- Up against the wall:
- Abed's GCC calendar doesn't specify the month but he has circled the 23rd as "First Day of Classes". Anthropology 101, the first episode of Season Two, aired on September 23, 2010.
- When Troy tells Pierce 600,000 people follow the Twitter account, the latter suggests that the followers be told to watch a TV show.
- “Welcome students, new and old to another Fall semester here at Greendale! It's time for clean slates and fresh starts. Celebrate your fresh start tonight at the Fresh Start Dance in the cafeteria...the same cafeteria where Britta Perry publicly professed her love to Jeff Winger who then walked out on her. Unforgettable! Plus, free punch and "Fresh Start" cookies tonight at the Fresh Start Dance!”— Dean Pelton
- “Look at us, going to school together.”— Troy
- “I know. We're like Batman and Shaft.”— Pierce
- “Batman actually had a guy his name was Robin. He rode around with him.”— Troy
- “Troy, Batman's friend didn't have to be Robin, he could have been Shaft, Dolemite, Leroy Brown. Don't let society limit your people.”— Pierce
- “My name is Professor June Bauer. This semester, I will guide you to the very threshold of your humanity where you will lock eyes with the shrieking, blood-drenched, sister-raping beast from which we sprang. You will also have to make a diorama.”— Professor June Bauer
- “Oh, so I tell you that I love you and you go outside and stick your tongue into a teenager!”— Brita
- “What is wrong with you Jeffrey?!”— Shirley
- “Well, Shirley, since you have clearly failed to grasp the central, insipid metaphor of those "Twilight" books you devour let me explain it to you! Men are monsters who crave young flesh! The end!”— Jeff
- “Everything they do is some sick competition!”— Annie
- “Oh like you hate competition! How long did it take you to kiss Jeff after I told him I loved him? Oh, that's right, first Vaughn now Jeff! I better not smile at that wall outlet, or you'll fry your tongue off!”— Britta