|"Applied Anthropology and Culinary Arts"|
|◄ Season Two, Episode Twenty-Two ►|
|Air date||April 28, 2011 on|
|Written by||Karey Dornetto|
|Directed by||Jay Chandrasekhar|
Shirley goes into labor in Anthroplogy class, and Britta must step up to help her friend. Meanwhile, Pierce decides to buy Troy and Abed's patented handshake.
PlotEditIn Anthropology class, Annie finishes giving her presentation for the final exams. Duncan awards her not only a passing grade but also the rest of the students as well. When Annie objects saying it's not fair to the students who actually put in the effort, Duncan orders the class to throw paper balls at her until she sits down. He pours himself a glass of scotch and makes a toast to Greendale. The students follow suit and join him, drinking beer and and other alcoholic beverages they brought to class. He notices Shirley isn't participating, unaware that she is pregnant. Chang reiterates that he could be the father which Shirley refuses to acknowledge as a possibility. Duncan then tries to lead them all into another round of drinking but is interrupted when the Dean walks in with a reporter for Dean Magazine who's doing a piece on the dean and is invited by the dean to observe the final. Professor Ian Duncan makes an excuse and escapes.
Shirley's water breaks, saving the class from admitting that their Anthropology class has been a fake. The dean decides to get his car to drive Shirley to the hospital. However, a riot breaks out at the food festival in the parking lot, leaving her stuck on campus. Abed is capable of delivering a baby, but Shirley refuses to let Abed see her "nethers." Instead, Abed guides Britta, who had been advocating natural birth to Shirley, through the delivery process. Throughout the episode, Chang pesters Shirley about how "Chang babies" are born, since he is hoping the baby is his. During her contractions, Chang calms her down with stories about his relatives' – the Chang babies – births.
Shirley's husband, Andre arrives to help her through the final stage of delivery. Shirley gives birth to a boy, which is clearly Andre's. Grateful for Chang's help during the birth, Shirley names the baby "Ben" after him.The reporter says everything that happened will be covered in the article and that Dean Pelton is a good Dean. However it is shown that Dean Magazine shut down after only two issues.
Troy and Abed pull the fire alarm because they will fail their test, only to discover it is a fake. Dean Pelton shows up and say that if he cancells classes they'll keep it a secret.
- That just happened: Abed reveals to the group that he delivered a baby earlier in the year, explaining that Troy was "off in the background somewhere". This happened in the background of scenes in The Psychology of Letting Go.
- Anticlimax: Shirley gives birth, and the father of the baby is revealed to be Andre.
- A nice gesture: Troy and Abed sell their signature handshake to Pierce, temporarily ruining it for themselves. They rediscover its joy after Ben is born and perform an extended version of it in celebration.
- Returning students: Fat Neil, Vicki, Star-Burns
- Googly eyes: the chemistry between Fat Neil and Vicki is obvious enough that even Pierce notices it.
- Rhyme Time:
- "No probl-O, Rob Lowe" - Britta
- Shout Out: Troy and Abed mention "Indecent Proposal" when Pierce offers them $1,000 to buy the rights to thier handshake.
- Dean Pelton mentions Children of the Corn as he says he is like a father figure to the students.
"Nothing can stop us. Not the hurricanes, not the communists, not the feds, not the girl scouts."- Ben Chang about Chang babies.
"We are [destined for greatness]. I just yanked a little dude out of my friend!"- Britta Perry
|Season Two Episodes|
1. "Anthropology 101"
13. "Celebrity Pharmacology 212"
|Season One • Season Two • Season Three • Season Four • Season Five|