|Recurring or debuting plot points in this episode:
- A nice gesture: Annie and Shirley debut their signature pinky handshake.
- Abed's observations about Jeff's relationships with Slater and Britta is retconned several episodes later in the Season One finale "Pascal's Triangle Revisited".
- Abed mentions his inability to get past the opening credits of "Who's the Boss" as his reason for never having seen an episode, but is later excited to take a class on the show in the Season Two episode "Competitive Wine Tasting".
- In this episode Jeff reveals that he went to Disney World in Florida yet in the Season Five episode "Geothermal Escapism" he tells Troy that he never left Colorado. It's possible he was lying in both cases just to make the other person feel better.
- School song: "If I Die Before You", composed by Ludwig Goransson, is featured in this episode. The song is part of the Community soundtrack.
- Coined and minted: Jeff and Abed mention the acronym "B.C.I." when discussing Britta's drunk voice mail. It stands for "Booty Call Implications" which refers to any sexual or implied flirtatious subtext.
- Googly eyes: Jeff is still dating Slater, but hints of Jeff and Britta's feelings for each other begin to surface.
- Replay: Abed shoots a scene for his web series The Community College Chronicles that echoes Chang's actions in Spanish class when he mocked Pierce and Troy.
|Recurring or debuting characters in this episode:
- Familiar faces:
- Returning students:
|List of Running gags
|Recurring or debuting running gags in this episode:
- Special Note: The episode features the first mention of the movie "Beetlejuice". The 1988 Tim Burton film is about a ghost that is summoned after having his name spoken three times. The movie would later be mentioned in the Season Two episode "Cooperative Calligraphy" and again in the Season Three episode "Horror Fiction in Seven Spooky Steps" which includes a brief payoff for the three year setup to the joke.
- Attention students!: Dean Pelton announces that it's Valentine's week, and that the Greendale Human Being will be the delivering Valentine's presents to the students from their admirers.
- Nice outfit: Troy and Pierce are forced to wear women's pants suits by Chang.
- Raging against the machine: Jeff mentions Britta ranting against Valentine's Day as it ritualizes a connection between affection and candy so girls can learn the ropes of prostitution.
|List of Pop culture references
|References to popular culture in this episode:
- Name that tune:
- The song "We Are Not Alone" is played during Jeff and Abed's drunk sequence. (See Meta reference below "Homage" for further details)
- The song "Going Crazy" is played while Chang dances at the Valentines Day party.
- Product placement: Abed's "Chang" was in a Papa John's commercial.
- Shout out: Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love are mentioned along with his suicide.
- TV Guide:
- Senor Chang's rooster dance is an homage to the running gag in Arrested Development.
- The 1980's Tony Danza sitcom "Who's the Boss?" is mentioned by Abed where he compares Jeff and Britta's situation to that of Tony and Angela.
- "Friends" is mentioned by Abed when he compares the drunk dialing to a somewhat similar plot on the show involving Rachel and Chandler.
- "Lost" is mentioned by Abed, referring to his latest star as young version of the Asian guy in the show.
|List of Meta references
|Meta references in this episode:
- Current events: After "Chang's" outburst Abed mentions that after one Papa John's commercial he thinks he is Christian Bale. This is a reference to Bale's outburst on the set on Terminator Salvation.
- Homage: Jeff and Abed's drunk partying is an homage to a similar sequence found in the 1985 John Hughes classic "The Breakfast Club" and even uses the same song. This movie and the director were directly referenced before in the series Pilot. There was also a 2011 Entertainment Weekly photo shoot with the cast which had them recreate the iconic movie poster Abed can also be seen wearing Judd Nelson's "John Bender" outfit during some of the scene as well as the morning after when Jeff and Abed awaken, hung over from their escapades.
- Frequent background extras Long haired guy and Jeremy make another of over 65 and 45 episode appearances respectively. They are both dancing with Chang to "Going Crazy". Long haired guy is in a white fedora.
- After his drunken night, Jeff wakes up wearing the pizza delivery guy's t-shirt.
- “It's Valentine week when the Greendale Human Being is the Cupid Being, delivering your gift to that special someone. But remember, Cupid's face is magic marker on nylon so love is not only blind but also dizzy and a little belligerent.”— Dean Pelton
- “As punishment, because you two obviously don't have any girlfriends, escort me to the Valentines Dance wearing elegant ladies pantsuits.”— Chang
- “Yeah, right.”— Troy
- “You'll do it or you'll fail my class.”— Chang
- “You can't do that.”— Pierce
- “Have you met me?”— Chang
- “I can't remember the name of that girl from The Breakfast Club. Mary. Margo. Molly Ringworm. You broke me.”— Abed
- “Michelle, I was trying to call Britain to order you toffees. Now, that may sound dumb but I needed to open with it to make the truth sound less ridiculous.”— Jeff