|Inside Troy's room at the apartment, he and Britta are in bed watching a classic episode of "Inspector Spacetime". Troy tells Britta that he convinced Abed to let her accompany them to Inspecticon, a convention dedicated to the show. Abed then knocks at the bedroom door wanting to go over the convention itinerary. Troy wants to keep the fact they've been sleeping together from Abed and Britta is forced to go through an elaborate escape route from his room to the hallway outside of the apartment. When Abed opens the door to let her in he reveals to both her and Troy that he knew all along she and Troy were sleeping together. He pretended not to know because he enjoyed the donuts she brought him for breakfast every morning.
|Later, Abed and Jeff go to the study room to fetch his sunglasses before attending the convention. Jeff tells Abed he is only going to the convention so he and Annie can spend the weekend skiing. They turn on the lights and are surprised to see Pierce at the study table. Pierce explains that he came early for the next meeting to save himself a seat. He then becomes upset that he wasn't asked to be a part of their weekend plans. Jeff and Abed defend themselves by admitting that they didn't invite Shirley either which seems to placate Pierce. Jeff and Abed them left to meet up with the invited study group members and soon afterwards they arrive at the convention. Britta and Abed have a brief confrontation over her liking what he considers to be the worst Inspector, a female one named "Minerva". It ends when he suddenly tells Britta he respects her opinion which causes Troy to worried over Abed actually backing down.
|Elsewhere, Jeff catches up with Annie at a convention booth and tells her that the ski trip is off since the ski slop was closed down due to an avalanche. Britta finds them both and notes that several convention attendees have been staring at Jeff. Troy and Abed reveal that Jeff bears a striking resemblance to a villain on the show called "Thoraxis". Jeff becomes annoyed and immediately suggests to Annie that they head home but Annie is reluctant wanting to enjoy her first "adult" vacation. Jeff says she can stay but reminds her that the reservation is in his name before he leaves. Afterwards, Troy reminds Abed about the "Gluon chamber" picture they wanted to take but he says that will have to wait until he meets up with an Inspector Spacetime fan he met online named Toby Weeks.
|Abed spots Toby in the crowd and introduces him to Troy and Britta. Troy is disappointed when Toby convinces Abed to bail on going to the "Gluon Chamber" to sit in on an exclusive discussion panel of the show. Elsewhere, Pierce arrived at the convention having dragged Shirley along as well. The pair are greeted by two event officials and are asked to follow them. Meanwhile, Annie is in Jeff's hotel room by herself. She becomes giddy after she calls up room service and is mistaken as "Mrs. Winger". Over in the hotel lobby, Jeff tries to ignore another Inspector Spacetime fan who has mistaken him as the actor who played "Thoraxis". He is surprised when he sees its an attractive lady named Lauren and decides to go along with it.
|Meanwhile, Pierce and Shirley arrive for the convention and are asked to participate in a focus test group. At that moment, Troy and Britta are having lunch with Toby and Abed. After they leave, Britta warns Troy that Toby is trying to steal Abed away from him. She advises him to play it cool otherwise he could end up alienating himself from Abed by rejecting Toby. At the focus group, Pierce heavily criticizes the pilot for an American version of "Inspector Spacetime". In the hotel lobby, Jeff tries to reconcile how someone as attractive as Lauren could be such a big fan of the show. At the convention, Troy joins Toby and Abed at a panel. However, he quickly loses his cool and after an emotional outburst runs off. Toby then invites Abed to join in in England for another convention.
|In Jeff's hotel room, Annie is enjoying taking advantage of the room service while pretending to be Jeff's wife. At the focus group, Shirley's pleas to keep the show true to it's source material are ignored in favor of Pierce's dreadful suggestions. Over at the lobby, the hotel staff alerts Annie to the fact that her "husband" is flirting with another lady. She keeps up the charade by staging a jealous public display and throws a drink in his face. Lauren does so as well before leaving. Elsewhere, Britta comforts Troy who is still upset about how he reacted to Toby and Abed. At that moment, the two new best friends are still discussing the convention in England. Abed is reluctant to go but Toby is persistent not only about the trip but also severing ties to his friends at Greendale.
|Abed then figures out that Toby had been lying about his friend "Andrew". Toby confesses but argues that "Constable Reggie" type neurotypicals like Troy always hold back high functioning Inspector types like them. Abed counters that their dynamic creates a perfect balance that grounds unemotional people like them. In response Toby shoves Abed inside a replica of the X-7 Dimensionizer and refuses to let him out until he changes his mind. At the same time, Troy and Britta are about to take a photo in the "Gluon" exhibit but Troy can't go through with it. Britta understands and tells him he should go to Abed. Troy leaves and soon finds Toby guarding the prop he trapped Abed in. He chases Toby away and releases Abed who states he knew Troy would rescue him.
|Back at the hotel lobby, Jeff finds Annie. She explains that scene was mostly for the benefit of the hotel staff to but also admits she was upset he bailed on her. Jeff apologizes for his behavior and offers to make it up to her and starts by buying her an Appletini. Afterwards, Troy and Abed show off their fused Gluon photo while Britta shows them her Minerva t-shirt. Shirley and Pierce arrive and Abed apologizes to the pair for not inviting them. Having finished with the test group, Shirley is apologetic herself and says she did her best. Annie then shows up along with Jeff and announces they are leaving early. Jeff changes his mind and says he wouldn't mind staying longer and decides to get into the swing of things. He jumps onto a stage, rips his shirt off and says "Bow before Thoraxis!".
The study group watches the American version of "Inspector Spacetime" starring Luke Perry and Jennie Garth. Abed then tells Pierce that he hates him.
- In the morning, Annie hands Britta a hair curler after she enters her bedroom, a callback to a comment she had made about Britta curling her hair in the morning in the Season Two episode "The Psychology of Letting Go"
- The "Inspector Spacetime" Christmas special featured in the Season Three episode "Regional Holiday Music" is discussed by Abed and Toby.
- That just happened:
- Googly eyes:
- It's revealed that Troy and Britta have been sleeping together for awhile but tried to keep it a secret from Abed.
- Jeff and Annie 's feelings for each other surface again with Annie's excitement at the idea of them being married and Jeff claiming that he would never be flirting with another woman if he was married to Annie.
- All by myself: Pierce voices his frustration over not being invited to the convention. Though he is less bothered by it once they reveal Shirley wasn't invited as well, he still crashes the convention along with Shirley anyway.
- This must be the place: Troy and Abed's apartment and Group Study Room F are featured briefly.
- Winger speech: Abed delivers the lesson to be learned in this episode to his new friend Toby, while doing a Jeff impression.
- Familiar faces: Beverly Hills, 90210 alumni Luke Perry and Jennie Garth appear as the American Inspector and his Constable.
- Biggest laugh of the night!: After staying the night in Troy's room, Britta is forced to go through an elaborate routine to keep up the appearance that she and Troy haven't been sleeping together.
- In her bra and panties she exits the window of Troy's bedroom
- She swings across the fire escape to an adjoining fire escape where she does a flip while putting on her pants.
- She then lands on the adjoining fire escape outside Annie's bedroom. Where a slumbering Annie hands her a curling iron.
- She finishes dressing and heads outside to the hallway while Troy and Abed are in his room discussing the event itinerary.
- In the apartment hallway, she grabs her shoes from where she hid them over the lamps.
- Using a broom, she pokes at a spot in the ceiling where she hid a bag of donuts.
- With the donuts in hand, she knocks on the front door of the apartment and pretends that she is bringing breakfast for Troy.
- Made a bad impression: Abed does his impression of Jeff while giving Toby a Winger speech.
- Nice outfit:
- Troy and Abed dress up as the Inspector and "Constable Reggie".
- Toby Weeks dressed up as the Third Inspector.
- Rhyme time: Seeking some support against Troy and Abed's dislike of the female Inspector Minerva, Britta turns to Annie but is told by her "You're on your own, Al Capone."
- You're the worst!: This phrase is replaced by references to "Minerva", a female Inspector universally reviled by "Inspector Spacetime" fans.
- Homage: The "Doctor Who" spoof/homage "Inspector Spacetime is featured again and it's shown that there have been multiple actors to play the Inspector throughout the shows history, much like "The Doctor".
- Up against the wall:
- The American "Inspector Spacetime" shown to the focus group show is credited as having been directed by Tristram Shapeero and written by Maggie Bandur, the same writer and director of this episode.
- Jeff's hotel room number is 404, the production code number of this episode. It had been scheduled to be the fourth episode aired this season but was switched to the third.
- Everyone's a critic: The focus test group can be seen as a nod to the behind the scenes conflict between NBC and Community creator and ex-showrunner Dan Harmon. The executives asked that he try to broaden the appeal of the show but Harmon would often refuse. Shirley extolling the virtues of "Inspector Spacetime" as a show that is "smart, complicated, and doesn't talk down to it's audience" and asking the American producers not to change it can be seen as more commentary on the matter.
- IRL: Toby mentioned to Abed that his best friend was named David. The actor who portrays Toby is Matt Lucas who is known for being on the show Little Britain with his real life best friend David Walliams .
Television critic Jace lacob of the online entertainment news site "The Daily Beast" announced on his twitter account the name of the episode on January 21, 2013. He had seen previews of it and "History 101" and gave the episodes favorable reviews.
Speaking of Community, I’ve seen the show’s long-awaited Feb. 7 season premiere — and it’s good. Like, really good. Like, you’d-almost-never-know-Dan-Harmon-left good. I also screened a second Season 4 installment — the one set at a Comic-Con-esque convention — and that episode was… um… how shall I put this… [crickets] Did I mention the premiere is good?
The same location used for Jeff's law firm is used for this episode as the hotel/convention center for "Inspecticon" in this episode.
|Season Four Episodes|
1. "History 101"
|Season One • Season Two • Season Three • Season Four • Season Five|