|Recurring or debuting plot points in this episode:
- That just happened: Chang's wife kicked him out when she found out he had sex with Shirley. They hooked up on Halloween but the affair wasn't made public until later.
- Winger speech: Jeff texts the group a speech with the reason he had a fight with them.
|Recurring or debuting characters in this episode:
|List of Running gags
|Recurring or debuting running gags in this episode:
- Bon Appétit!: Pierce reads a statement he had prepared if Britta ever outed herself as a lesbian. His last line is where the name of this running gag comes from.
- Changuage: When Jeff reluctantly says Chang can come in his apartment, Chang says "don't mind if I Chang".
- Fanservice: Britta and Page kiss awkwardly and Annie leans in to kiss Britta when a bystander suggests it.
- Gay, he's so gay!: Pierce tells Jeff he has a similar statement prepared for Jeff when he comes out of the closet.
- My other half: Troy freaks out when Mariah suggests that Abed is weird.
- Raging against the machine: Britta repeatedly overreacts to what she perceives as homophobia in others.
- You're the worst!: Page calls Britta this after learning she's not gay and was just hanging out with her because she thought Page was a lesbian.
- Zzzzz: Troy and Abed fake a snooze after catching the attention of an assistant librarian.
|List of Pop culture references
|References to popular culture in this episode:
- IMDb: Abed gives Mariah a detailed overview of the Saw movie franchise.
- Name that tune: The song "Fancy Footwork" by Chromeo plays at the dance.
- Shout out: Jeff makes a sarcastic crack about "The Barenaked Ladies" and the rest of the group leaps to aggressively defend the band.
- Well-read: Troy tells Abed that Mariah wouldn't shut up about Nicholas Nickleby.
|List of Meta references
|Meta references in this episode:
- The actress who plays Claire is Cyrina Fiallo, Alison Brie's good friend and co-star from a web series they both did in 2008 called "My Alibi".
- The casting of Andy Dick as the Tiny Man is probably a "meta" reference to his real-life alleged involvement in many Hollywood scandals that included drug abuse/overdoses, with the media going out of its way to connect him to a few actors' and comedians' tragic drug-related issues.
- Up against the wall: Jeff has an argument with the study group about the band "The Barenaked Ladies" which leads to him taking a break from the group. Although fans of the show thought this was a dig at The Big Bang Theory, which shared a timeslot with Community at the time of airing, and had The Barenaked Ladies write and perform The Big Bang Theory theme, Dan Harmon confirmed during a Paley Center event that the joke was not aimed at The Big Bang Theory. It was just a joke he thought up because "everyone seems to aggressively defend The Barenaked Ladies."
In the Community The Complete Second Season DVD commentaries, episode director Steven Sprung mentions that Magnitude's name wasn't settled upon so multiple takes had to made with other possible names for him including "Poochie", "Ray-Ray" and "Glisten".
- “I'm a stylish American, Professor. I've been forcing myself to be into soccer since 2004.”— Jeff
- “If you have to ask if it's homophobic to ask questions, haven't you already answered your own questions?”— Britta
- “Have I?”— Annie
- “You're the worst. And for the record, I never thought you were cool. I only thought you were a lesbian.”— Page
- “What is it about me that makes broken people flock to me. Is it my height? Do huddled masses mistake me for the Statue of Liberty?”— Jeff