|Recurring or debuting plot points in this episode:
- And we're back: The study group (as well as the show itself) returns picking up where the previous episode left off right after their winter break.
- Middle Eastern Magic 8 Ball: Abed mentions The Right Stuff, a novel which was made into a film that is referenced heavily in Season Two's episode Basic Rocket Science.
|Recurring or debuting characters in this episode:
- Returning students: Star-Burns appears in the end tag.
- First appearance:
- Familiar faces:
|Recurring or debuting places in this episode:
- This must be the place:
- Note: This is the first time we see the group have an official meeting outside the study room to discuss non-academic matters.
|Recurring or debuting items in this episode:
- School supplies: Chang's "El Tigre Chino" leather jacket makes its debut.
|List of Running gags
|Recurring or debuting running gags in this episode:
- Biggest laugh of the night: With one of several jump kicks Buddy accidentally connects with Jeff's nose, drawing blood. Later Buddy gets pantsed over the course of being physically ejected from the study room by Jeff.
- Fan Service: In Buddy's daydream at the beginning of the episode, Britta and Annie fight in cheerleader uniforms.
- Gasp: The Annie and Britta of Buddy's imagination oversell a shocked gasp.
- Man crush: Pelton inappropriately rubs Jeff's stomach.
- Pansexual imp: Dean Pelton is shown trying on a Dalmatian costume in his office.
|List of Pop culture references
|References to popular culture in this episode:
- IMDb: Buddy compares himself to the main character in Paul Blart: Mall Cop.
- Product placement: Dean Pelton uses free samples of Sephora as bait by to lure Jeff into the Greendale Gazette Journal Mirror.
- Shout out: Annie recalls a Toni Braxton concert held at Greendale.
- TV Guide: M*A*S*H is mentioned frequently by Abed throughout this episode. Jeff is called Hawkeye numerous times and Abed even hums the theme song. The episode ends with a freeze frame, the signature tune and the yellow closing credits, all known from M*A*S*H.
- Use your allusion: Britta mentions she thinks she spent the winter break in Amsterdam but she'll know for sure when she finds her camera. This is likely a reference to the summer hit "The Hangover" which had been released that year.
- Well read: Abed briefly mentions Tom Wolfe's novel The Right Stuff.
|List of Meta references
|Meta references in this episode:
- Everyone's a critic:
- Buddy has some suggestions to improve the group dynamic. While his ideas probably aren't representative of any specific critics, this can be seen as commentary on outside entities trying to influence the show.
- Pierce is bored of Abed's frequent pop culture references.
- Jeff comments on some of the negative aspects of his behavior from the first half of the season while overtly trying to be more relaxed.
- IRL: Numerous characters comment on Buddy's chubby athleticism, one of the hallmark's of Jack Black's acting career.
- Parody: Buddy says "I'm strong, and I can kick" just before kicking Jeff in the face. This is a clear reference to the outrageous 1987 appearance of Crispin Glover on Late Night with David Letterman, where Glover delivered the same line along with a high kick towards Letterman.
- Up against the wall: When Buddy sings about Annie's "luscious fanny" Jeff tells him that because Annie is only 18, they try not to sexualize her. In the DVD commentary Dan Harmon explained that this echoes the attitude of Community's creative team towards Alison Brie's character.
- Résumé: Owen Wilson's appearance at the end of the episode reunites the two main characters from a pilot Dan Harmon co-wrote called Heat Vision and Jack.
- A flyer written by Pavel for auditions for a student film can be seen behind Annie when she tells Jeff about her news scoop. The flyer indicates it's an asset if the applicants can ride a unicycle.
- “This is the first desk I've seen in six months that doesn't have 'Zeppelin Rules' carved into it.”— Jeff
- “No no, it's fine it's fine. Just a little...little nosebleed. I get them when it's dry and when my face gets kicked.”— Jeff
- “If we're going to add a chair for every bong-ripping good-time Charlie with a song in his heart, I move we institute hazing.”— Annie
- “Guys, let's take a vote.”— Britta
- “Secret vote. Everybody cover your eyes.”— Abed
- “We won't know the results!”— Annie
- “Well, say your vote out loud.”— Pierce
- “We'll know each other's voices.”— Shirley
- “Troy's got a point.”— Pierce