|Recurring or debuting plot points in this episode:
- That just happened: In the previous episode, Chang was revealed to be a fraud as a teacher and now has enrolled at Greendale to get a real degree like Jeff.
- Replay: Chang's meeting with Duncan mirrors Jeff's meeting with Duncan in the first episode.
- Googly eyes: Jeff's relationships with Slater, Britta and Annie are explored in this episode.
- When Vaughn says goodbye to Jeff he says "Sayonara, Konbanwa" Konbanwa is a greeting and it means "good evening".
- Abed's observations about Jeff's relationships with Slater and Britta in the episode "Communication Studies" is retconned in this episode. He had earlier stated Britta was the one motivating Jeff to change for the better and Slater was the one who accepted him as is. Jeff agrees with his assessment but then changes his mind and reverses the two women's roles in this episode. Creator Dan Harmon acknowledged the discrepancy and offered an explanation for it in this interview.
- Cliffhanger: The episode ends with Jeff kissing Annie, the repercussions of which are dealt with in the Season Two premiere.
- Middle Eastern Magic 8 Ball: Abed's worries about his friendship with Troy being strained if they move in together become true in Season Three, starting with a realization that they spend too much time together in "Competitive Ecology" and culminating into an outright war (with Robert Laybourne's help) in "Pillows and Blankets".
|Recurring or debuting characters in this episode:
|List of Running gags
|Recurring or debuting running gags in this episode:
- Like an evil genie:
- Right after Jeff says to Annie "not much can ruin today", the Dean emerges from the bushes.
- Later, when Shirley says a similar phrase to Britta, the Dean enters the study room, interrupting the conversation.
- Nice outfit: Dean Pelton's personal ad is answered by two people wearing dalmatian costumes.
- Pansexual imp: Dean Pelton's Dalmatian fetish comes to a head in this episode.
- Visual aids: At the Tranny Dance, Troy is seen eating a giant cookie that gets progressively smaller each time he appears onscreen.
- You're the worst: Shirley's unseen friend Gary is mentioned. Everyone is glad that he is transferring schools.
|List of Pop culture references
|References to popular culture in this episode:
- Alert nerd!: Abed brings up the trope of "Jumping The Shark" when explaining to Troy why they can't move in together.
- Use your allusion:
- Abed turning off the lights in the study room is a reference to the last episode of "Cheers", where Sam Malone ended the show by turning the lights off in the bar.
- Linda Greene from The Greendale Gooffaws urges Jeff to choose Britta by saying "Team Britta", a reference to the vampire novel series "Twilight".
- Chang tells Duncan that he will find a loophole and kill him, a reference to "Lost" and The Rules.
|List of Meta references
|Meta references in this episode:
- Current events: Star-Burns yells out "Bring Conan back!", a reference to NBC, who, at the time, had removed Conan O'Brien as host of "The Tonight Show." (see Résumé)
- Parody: The episode was meant to be a take on teenage soap operas like "Dawson's Creek ", particularly the love triangle aspects of those shows.
- Résumé: Dino Stamatopoulos (Star-Burns) was a writer for Conan from 1993-99.
- Up against the wall:
- Pierce asks Troy "What happened to us?" This is an overt reference to the fact that the writers had originally intended for Pierce and Troy to be best friends. When the Troy/Abed pairing was shown to have great chemistry, that idea was dropped. In this episode the writers decided to revisit this idea by having Troy move in with Pierce.
- When Dean Pelton announces the candidates for Tranny Queen, he says the name "Danielle Harmon", a reference to the show's creator Dan Harmon.
- Frequent background extra Jeremy makes another of over 45 episode appearances. He is in numerous scenes at the Tranny dance including when the dalmatians try to break up the Chang and Duncan fight.
- “I hope he transfers to hell.”— Troy, after finding out that Shirley's friend Gary is transferring schools.
- “So you think I'd feel better about myself if I got all sexed up, went over there and really tried to be crowned Queen of the Dingbats?”— Britta
- “Precisely.”— Duncan
- “Wow. Guess you really get what you pay for with free therapy.”— Britta
- “Ouch. That stung a little bit. Thanks.”— Duncan
- “Señor Chang, is there a word in Spanish for someone who used to pretend to be a professor but was a teacher but wasn't actually a teacher and is now a student? Is there a word for that? Oh, if it was in Spanish, you wouldn't know, would you?”— Duncan
- “Oh, and for the record, there was an episode of Happy Days where a guy literally jumped over a shark. And it was the best one.”— Troy
- “Jeff needs a girl who doesn't just not wear underwear because Oprah told her it would spice things up. He needs a girl who doesn't wear underwear because she hasn't done laundry in three weeks. He's been to flavor country now. They should retire the table we did it on.”— Britta