|"Pascal's triangle Revisited"|
|◄ Season One, Episode Twenty Five ►|
|Air date||May 20, 2010 on|
|Written by||Hilary Winston|
|Directed by||Joe Russo|
|“||Oh, and for the record, there was an episode of 'Happy Days' where a guy literally jumped over a shark — and it was THE BEST ONE!"||”|
Summary: As the school year ends, Jeff finds himself caught in the middle as Slater and Britta compete for his affection. Meanwhile, Troy can't understand Abed's refusal for them to move in together.
PlotEditJeff arrives at Greendale in his battered Lexus for the last day of the school. As he walks across campus, he encounters various people from school he's become acquainted with over the past year and greets them fondly. He runs into Annie who is with her boyfriend Vaughn. She decides to join Jeff as he's heading to the study room for the group's final meeting of the semester. Dean Pelton suddenly shows up asking them if they plan on going to this year's Transfer Dance. It's the last dance of the year where they celebrate students who are going on to four year colleges. Back in the study room, Troy reveals to the group that his father is kicking him out of the house in order to make room for his younger girlfriend.
Troy's hints to Abed that he would like to move in with in him in his dorm room but is ignored. Jeff and Annie then show up and with the news that Britta is up for the title of "Transfer Queen" at the upcoming dance. Dean Pelton then drops in to update everyone that the dance has been renamed the "Tranny Dance". Later, at Britta's therapy session with Professor Duncan, he encourages her to compete for the title. He thinks it will help her get over some of her psychological hangups. Britta angrily ends the session as Ben Chang, now a student, shows up looking to talk to Duncan. He asks for his help to cheat in his classes, but Duncan just mocks Chang for his current situation.
Meanwhile, Jeff bumps into Professor Slater on his way to class. She admits she made a mistake breaking up with him and asks for another chance. The study group later attends a keg party hosted by Abed in his dorm. Troy tries again to drop hints to Abed about moving in with him but is ignored for a second time. Vaughn arrives at the party with some news for Annie. He has just been invited to join the nation's best college hacky sack team located in Delaware. Inside the dorm room, Jeff tries to flirt with Britta who is oblivious. Things become more awkward when Slater joins them and Jeff senses the animosity between the two women. Britta then suddenly announces to Michelle her intentions to run for Tranny Queen.
That night at the Transfer Dance, it becomes clear that Britta and Slater are openly competing for Jeff's affections. Duncan continues to taunt Chang who has to restrain himself from retaliating out of fear that he will be expelled for hitting a teacher. Annie announces to the group that she will be going to Delaware for the summer with Vaughn. Privately, she tells Jeff that she is not merely going for the summer but intends to transfer to Delaware because she wants to try and live in the moment. Meanwhile, Pierce makes Troy an offer for him to move into his mansion.
At the study room, Troy finds Abed and asks him why they can't live together. Abed replies that living together would put too much of a strain on their friendship. He advises that Troy go ahead and move in with Pierce. Since theirs is a more casual acquaintance, them constantly being together won't put as much stress on their friendship. Troy leaves upset and confused over Abed's explanation. Back at the dance, Britta is preparing for the competition with Shirley's help. Shirley admonishes Britta's actions, telling her that she should stop competing with Slater and just be honest with Jeff about her feelings. Later, Annie says her goodbyes to the group and leaves with Vaughn.
Some students watch a video yearbook by Abed featuring all the main study group members, complaining that they do not know any of these people.
- That just happened: In the previous episode, Chang was revealed to be a fraud as a teacher and now has now enrolled at Greendale to get a real degree like Jeff.
- Returning students: This episode sees the return of Garrett, Vaughn, Leonard, Eric, Linda, and Star-Burns.
- Returning faculty: This episode sees the return of Professor Whitman, Professor Duncan, and Professor Slater.
- Familiar face: Actor Matt L. Jones returns as a character known as "Stoner friend". In a previous episode, he played a coffee delivery guy.
- A sweet ride: Jeff's Lexus is still damaged from Chang's assault with his keytar in the previous episode "English as a Second Language".
- Double take: Chang's meeting with Duncan mirrors Jeff's meeting with Duncan in the first episode.
- School supplies: Abed is wearing a sword at his kegger which originally appeared in "Communication Studies". Troy is seen eating a large cookie provided at the school dance throughout the episode.
- School song: Pierce plays the school song at the Tranny Dance, a song he wrote in "Advanced Criminal Law".
- Googly eyes: Jeff's relationships with Slater, Britta and Annie are explored in this episode.
- Cliffhanger: The episode ends with Jeff kissing Annie, the repercussions of which are dealt with in the Season Two premiere.
- My friend Gary: Shirley's unseen friend is mentioned. Everyone is glad that he is transferring schools.
- Pansexual imp: Dean Pelton's Dalmatian fetish comes to a head in this episode.
- Nice outfit: Dean Pelton's personal ad is answered by two people wearing Dalmatian costumes.
- Visual aids: At the Tranny Dance, Troy is seen eating a giant cookie that gets progressively smaller each time he appears onscreen.
- Alert nerd!: Abed brings up the trope of "Jumping The Shark" when explaining to Troy why they can't move in together.
- Parody: The episode was meant to be a take on teenage soap operas like "Dawson's Creek", particularly the love triangle aspects of those shows.
- Up against the wall:
- Pierce asks Troy, "What happened to us?" This is an overt reference to the fact that the writers had originally intended for Pierce and Troy to be best friends. When the Troy/Abed pairing was shown to have great chemistry, that idea was quickly dropped.
- When Dean Pelton announces the candidates for Tranny Queen, he says the name "Danielle Harmon", a reference to the shows creator Dan Harmon.
- Use your allusion:
- Abed turning off the lights in the study room is a reference to the last episode of "Cheers" when Sam Malone ended the show by turning the lights off in the bar.
- Linda from The Greendale Gooffaws urges Jeff to choose Britta by saying "Team Britta", a reference to the vampire novel series, "Twilight".
- Chang tells Duncan that he will find a loophole and kill him, a reference to "Lost" and The Rules.
- Current events: Star-Burns yells out "Bring Conan back!", a reference to NBC who at the time had removed Conan O'Brien as host of "The Tonight Show." Dino Stamatopoulos (Star-Burns) was a writer for Conan from '93 to '99
- "I hope he transfers to hell."--Troy after finding out that Shirley's friend Gary is transferring schools.
- "So you think I'd feel better about myself if I got sexed up, went over there and really tried to be crowned Queen of the Dingbats?"--Britta
- "Wow. Guess you really get what you pay for with free therapy."--Britta
- "I'll save you some time. He listens to you talk for a year and then advises a make-over."--Britta to Chang who is looking for Duncan
- "Well, don't wear as much lipstick as you did on Valentine's Day. Your mouth looked like a coin purse."--Chang
- "Psst...psst...Britta. Britta! Your lipstick looks better."--Chang, later in the episode, to Britta after she declares her love to Jeff
- "Señor Chang, is there a word in Spanish for someone who used to pretend to be a professor but was a teacher but wasn't actually a teacher and is now a student? Is there a word for that? Oh, if it was in Spanish, you wouldn't know, would you?"---Duncan
- [Chang winds up to punch Duncan]
- "Hit a professor, you'll get expelled."--Duncan
- "I will find a loophole..."--Chang
- "Good luck with that."--Duncan
- "Then I'll kill you."--Chang
- "Oh, and for the record, there was an episode of Happy Days where a guy literally jumped over a shark. And it was the best one."--Troy
- "Jeff needs a girl who doesn't just not wear underwear because Oprah told her it would spice things up. He needs a girl who doesn't wear underwear because she hasn't done laundry in three weeks. He's been to flavor country now. They should retire the table we did it on."--Britta
- My name is Professor Ian Duncan, and I would like to rap for you. Drop a beat! My name is Ian Duncan, and I'm here to say I'm going to rap to the beat in a rapping way! I've got a real big penis, and I drink lots of tea...!--Ian Duncan
|Season One Episodes|
10. "Environmental Science"
19. "Beginner Pottery"
|Season One • Season Two • Season Three • Season Four • Season Five|