|Shirley's signature item on the show is her large purse. She has had a few different purses but generally they all have the same design, a brown leather tote bag usually with alligator skin design. Shirley is never seen without it, and it's become as much a part of her character as Annie's cardigans or Britta's leather jackets. After returning to Greendale after graduation, she is now seen sporting a Gucci Tote bag. Shirley's bag first appearance was in the Pilot and has been featured in every episode since then.|
- "English as a Second Language": After an all night study session in the study room Shirley is seen as
asleep and clutching her bag.
- "Cooperative Calligraphy": The contents of the purse were poured out when a search was conducted in Group Study Room F of everyone's bags in the hopes of finding Annie's missing pen. The only item of interest the group found inside Shirley's bag was a pregnancy test.
- "Urban Matrimony and the Sandwich Arts": Shirley actually lets go of her purse to talk some sense to a drunk Jeff and Britta who are trying to get married.
- "Advanced Introduction to Finality": It's shown that "Evil Shirley" has replaced her purse with a bag of booze.
- "Repilot": Shirley has upgraded her bag to a Louis Vuitton tote.